Pages

Thursday, May 09, 2013

The Importance of Sleep

I'm sure we've all heard the million reasons why we need to get our 7 or 8 hours of sleep every night. The evidence is overwhelming that we need to implement this. Then, why is it so hard to do?

I know that, personally, there are many good reasons why I need to get more sleep. All through high school, and even earlier now that I think back, if I didn't have enough sleep I would get migraines. My head would just kill, I would get spots on mu vision, and I would feel like I needed to throw up. Now that I'm nearly in my thirties I'm realizing that I haven't had one of those experiences for some time now. As we age, our bodies don't release as much hormone telling us that we MUST sleep, so maybe that's why. Who knows for sure.

I've also heard that when someone is sleep deprived they become paranoid. I can attest to that. When I haven't been getting enough sleep I start to see things out of the corner of my eye, or spots start to look like creeping bugs. (I strongly dislike bugs, and need glasses, so there are a lot of mistaken spots
when I'm tired.)

The third most noticeable side effect of insufficient sleep, for me, is that I cannot get enough sugar. All that I want to do is eat - and all my body is trying to do is find a quick source of energy because I've been depriving it of rest. I've noticed that the past two nights I've been up late and snacking at the same time. I need to stop this, if I'm to have any physical signs of success for my first weekly weigh-in on Monday.

This is my plan.... I know that I need 7, preferably 8, hours of sleep personally. So I'm going to set an alarm for 10:30 pm on my phone. When this goes off, I'm to go brush my teeth and get ready for bed. After that I can finish up whatever it is I was doing if I still feel it is necessary. Then I'm going to aim for getting my butt into bed at 11 pm, but definitely before 12 am. This way, I will be rested by the time 7 am rolls around. I know that it'll take a few days for my body to feel rested again, but this will help get things into order.

How do you make sure to get enough sleep?