Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

I scream, You scream

We all scream for ICE CREAM! 


I am so excited! I found this little beauty on Kijiji (classified ads) this week for only $15! It's the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. I've been mulling over buying an ice cream maker for a while, but didn't want to spend a lot of money since I hadn't been working during school.

The first batch I made didn't freeze, of course, because I was so excited that I didn't let the bowl freeze long enough before starting it up. But, I put everything in the fridge while I froze the bowl overnight and tried it again. Success! It was super simple and tasty.

I used 1 3/4 cups of milk, 3 tbsp cocoa, 2 tbsp sugar, and sprinkle of salt, 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. You can see in the photo that it didn't turn out as creamy as store bought ice cream, and I have a few ideas as to how to fix that. For the next batch I'm going to reduce the milk on the stove, so there isn't as much water to crystallize, and I'm going to add some cornstarch while its cooking to thicken it slightly. This will make it more like pudding. I'll let you know how that works and I'll post some recipes when they turn out perfectly!

I have some big plans for this little machine! I think it can make 1.5 liters of ice cream at a time, so it will be used for my next dinner party for sure! I want to make a strawberries and cream flavour, since they're in season right now. I also bought a watermelon that I might turn into sorbet...

Mmmmm....