Pages

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Good News, Everybody!

I have finally received all my grades for my first year back at school. I had decided, after several years of working in the real world that I was not happy with what I could do with my degree. I noticed that I enjoyed nutrition, and bought myself an old text book to go through on my own. I really enjoyed learning about the various aspects of nutrition and food, so I decided to take the plunge and apply to university again.

Many freak-outs and sleepless nights later, I have completed the first year. My overall GPA for the year is 3.2. I'm so excited about this! This is the magic number that I had been working towards. You see, when I applied they wouldn't let me into the Nutrition program, and instead I was admitted to the Nutrition and Food program. From here I have submitted an internal application to transfer programs. Students within the faculty are admitted first, then everyone else is considered (including other faculties and prospective students). There are only 60 students per year admitted to the Nutrition program at my University. That's a lot of competition.

I'm super pleased that I hit my goal for grades! I was worried and got quite depressed at the end of the term because I didn't think things went as well as they could have. Luckily, I pulled through. Now I have the next excruciating wait - to hear if I've been accepted into the Nutrition program. With it, I will be on track to becoming a Registered Dietitian. I will find out by the start of July.

Fingers crossed!

Hubby and I celebrated the completion of our major tasks from the 8 months, that I had a job interview today, and took advantage of the gorgeous evening all in one shot. I made muffins and we shared one of our favourite beers and a cigar we bought during our honeymoon (the lighter we got in Jamaica too).


These muffins, by the way, are one of my absolute favourites. I simply must share the recipe with you right now!


Choco-Berry Muffins

Adapted from Dinner With Julie

Preparation time: about 10 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Yield: about 2 dozen 

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups Greek yogurt
  •  3/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups frozen mixed berries, do not thaw (I used raspberry and blueberry) 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare your muffin tins - they need to be greased/sprayed, even with muffin papers.
  2. Beat oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs one by one until creamy.
  3. Add half the dry ingredients, mix. Add half the yogurt and milk, mix. Repeat with the rest.
  4. Toss in the chocolate chips and berries, if you haven't yet, and give it a good mix to incorporate.
  5. Fill your baking cups to the top. Bake 25 minutes, or until the tops are fluffy to the touch and they are a nice golden brown.
  6. Cool on wire racks.


I finally got to play with a new toy of mine while making these! This cookie scoop made filling the muffin cups so much easier! I'm in love. I also found it super easy to remove the muffins from the tins using a spoon, as in the photo below.